Assessing a Course Binder
The activity's title reflects the activity type. You will either see "Assignment" or "Course Binder" to the right of the title in the Course Dashboard.
- Click the Courses tool in the left menu.
- From the Course Dashboard click the number in the "Not Submitted" portion of the bar graph.
- Click on the student's name you wish to assess.
- A split screen will appear with the assessment tool(s) on the right and the student’s submission on the left. Select the assessment tool you wish to use to assess the course binder.
- Click the appropriate tab on the left side of the screen to view the student's submission and attachments.
- Select the rating you wish to give the student from the rubric using the appropriate radio button.
- Enter any comments you'd like to give the student in the Summary Comments textbox.
- The system will automatically calculate the scores based on the radio buttons you have selected.
- If you wish to enter a numerical value in the Grade field that you will use in the TRACS gradebook, then you must enter it here. Otherwise, you may leave it blank if you wish.
- Click Save to save your work and continue working, or click Complete to save your work and exit the assessment tool.
- Click Submit above the assessment tool to submit your grade and comments. You will be automatically advanced to the next submission of the same course binder.
- You may also click Close to exit the assessment. Students will not be able to see grades and comments until the assessment is Submitted.
NOTE: If you choose to click Close or Next instead of Submit, you will need to re-open the assessment tool and repeat steps 9 and 10 when you are ready to submit.
Feedback vs. Comments
Feedback can be given to the student at any point during the evaluation process and does not lock the assignment from being submitted again. For example, if you begin grading a student's submission and would like them to re-submit it because they were completely off topic, give feedback to the student. Feedback cannot be edited nor deleted, and feedback is not sent to the TRACS Gradebook.
Summary Comments are given on the student's submission once it has been graded by using the Summary Comments box on the rubric. Summary Comments will appear in the comments section of the TRACS gradebook if you have decided to link the assignment to your TRACS gradebook.
To give feedback on a submission:
- Open the student's Course Binder.
- Click the Feedback tab.
- Click the Add New icon, which appears as a Plus Sign [+].
- Enter your feedback.
- Click Add.
Revoking an assessment allows you to re-assess, or re-grade, a student's Course Binder. Once the assessment is revoked, all comments and grades entered for the Course Binder will remain in place, and you will be allowed to re-assess the submission.
- Click the Courses tab.
- From the Course Dashboard, click the number in the "Submitted" portion of the bar graph.
- Click on the student's name you wish to reassess.
- Click Revoke at the top of the page. You are now free to reassess the submission.
Revoking the assessment does not allow the student to re-submit their work on its own. There are additional steps you must take. If you would like to allow the student to re-submit the Course Binder, see Allow Resubmission for further details.
If you're assessing a Course Binder, you may receive the following message when you submit:
The inputted score does not match the value of the performance rating for the following rubric(s): (Assessment Tool Name Here). Click Ok to proceed or cancel to adjust the score before submitting.
To proceed, click OK. You are seeing this message because one or more of the "Score" fields in the rubric is set to a value higher than the score coded into the Assessment rubric. This will always be true of the PACE rubrics, for instance, because those rubrics are configured with no specific points in the rubric, enabling all PACE instructors to set point values according to each individual course syllabus instead requiring that instructors use a predetermined value.